Monday, August 16, 2010

A Cautionary Tale

I bought a sheer blue and white stripped silk shirt at the thrift store. I thought it would be perfect to do some shibori stitching, so that is what I did. I cut off one of the sleeves and stitched it all over, following the wavy stripes. Then I put it in a jar of Oak leaf dye I had made and let it sit for a day in the sun. The next day, I took it out and left it on the balcony to dry. It was a hot, dry day with no breeze. I checked on it a couple of times and noticed it was almost dry. I could hardly wait to see what it was going to look like. However, when I checked on it again, it was gone! A gentle breeze had come up and I guess the silk got carried away. I searched and searched, but it was no where to be found. I repeated the whole process with the other sleeve and the result is pictured here. Underneath it is a piece of cotton muslin, folded and dyed in the same oak dye. This time I made sure it would not fly away.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bobbie Casey said...

Wow, very pretty. I think I really like oak leaves. I love what you are doing with your experiments.

Lisa K said...

Beautiful! I love seeing all that you are doing with the natural dyes. As for the missing silk, maybe a squirrel took it. The squirrels in my yard are always taking off with my fabric!