Thursday, September 23, 2010

Left Overs


Here is what I am doing with all the left over pieces of wool. My experiments left me with a good supply of blobs of partially felted wool! Just right for the centers of felt beads. My husband calls them Hair Balls.
Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rags To Riches


Finally, some Nuno felt (I think I have the hang of it) and a piece of re-purposed velvet, stenciled with bleach.
Posted by Picasa

Friday, September 17, 2010

Is It Nuno?

Still trying to make Nunu felt. Have failed three times. Did I fail again? Does it really matter? Whatever it is, it is sort of interesting.
Posted by Picasa

But Is It Felt?

Failed Nuno felt mounted on silk and in the process of being hand stitched.Posted by Picasa

Monday, September 13, 2010

Tess and the Flamingo Tot

I buy toys for my Jack Russell, Tess, at the thrift store. Because they only cost 25 to 50 cents, she can play with them to her hearts content. Sometimes it is hard to find any that don't have those pellets in them. This is her current favorite. She loves on it, chews on it and tosses it about. On the label, it says it is a Flamingo Tot.
Posted by Picasa

Details


Part of a monoprint reverse applique piece.

Posted by Picasa

Curls

Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dyed Floss

I finally got my embroidery floss dyed, but I used Rit. Pretty stuff and I separated most of it into three strands so it will be easier for me to use--less time separating three from six. I will plan ahead and dye some in the natural dye when I am not in a hurry. In fact, I think I will just keep some floss in the dye area so I can dye some in every pot of dye. I am stitching on two pieces at the moment. One is a mono print titled, "The Fruit of the Vine" and the other an "art quilt" (I really don't like that label) entitled "Yesterday, I Went Walking". I don't know why it is called that. It just told me that was what it wanted to be called.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, September 6, 2010

Oops

While working on a project this morning, I started thinking about dyeing some embroidery thread. "Why don't I just do it right now?", I thought. So I grabbed some embroidery thread from my stash, in colors I probably won't use and carried them out to the garage. I dunked them into various jars of plant dyes and left them while I made lunch. But when I checked on them, nothing was really happening. (Well, come on. It had only been thirty minutes!) Anxious to see what would happen, I decided to microwave them. I had three small plastic containers I had been saving to dye in and I thought they would be just perfect. I filled the containers with different threads and a couple of tablespoons of dye. I set the timer for two minutes and when it went off, I opened the door to find melted plastic and my threads floating in a pool of dye. What a mess!
Posted by Picasa

Friday, September 3, 2010

Monoprint Mania

I thought I would make a couple of monoprints in a color scheme I needed. I made four, tore some more fabric and made four more. Finally, I tore the whole piece of cotton into sections and kept printing. I printed all afternoon....
Posted by Picasa