Monday, November 8, 2010

L Is For Leaf

I worked on this piece, made with the elderberry dyed silk and cotton, most of the weekend. Half of the time I really liked it and then toward the end of the weekend, not so much. I did finally acknowledge that I am not really happy with anything until I start taking it apart. I think they are calling that deconstructing. The piece doesn't work for me until I cut holes in it, unstitch it, cover things up etc. I believe I am like this across the board--in all media. In painting, I call it subtracting. So, on some level I know this, but I never really knew it. Now that I am acknowledging this, I can plan for it. Maybe? I am probably not done taking this one apart..........

If you are reading my blog, please know that I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Patty said...

This is wonderful! I can see that it's fabric but my mind keeps saying
'painting'. The x marks and other elements are clearly brought over from painting yet it is textiles.
Well done!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

sara, Thank You so much for comment
on my dilemma and coming here, i
became Happy to have my dilemma,
after reading this post! i
will go forward cheerfully taking
it apart and problem solving...
THANKS!
Mulberry...it's really amazing,
isn't it....beautiful cloth

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

elderberry

Bobbie Casey said...

Sara,
I love the color the elderberry dyed the fabric. I love to watch you work. It is so interesting to see how you solve problems, always in a painterly way.
I love the spots of green and the word!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

sara..it's me again. THANK YOU
again.