Monday, August 29, 2011

Pins and Needles

Recently, I have been doing a lot of hand sewing. Trying to find the right needle was getting a little frustrating. I have a billion pin cushions and I love every one of them, but it takes forever to find the needle I am looking for. I started sticking my "working" needles into a little quilted piece that I had left over. That way, I could fold the needles up in the pad and put it with the thread I was using. Very convenient. That started me thinking about something.

When I was a little girl, I had a summer sewing class with the lady next door. Several of us went to her house a couple of times a week and sat in the living room with our sewing on our laps. I remember this specifically, because I sewed the apron we were making out of handkerchiefs, to my skirt! I was so embarrassed. Also, I remember this because they had a pet monkey that once threw a whole case of full coke bottles all over their carport!

But, back to sewing, the first thing we made, was a "Needle Book". This was made out of a couple of scraps of felt with pinked edges and we stored our needles (and pins) in these little books. Recently, I was looking for something in my Mother's sewing basket, and there was a Needle Book someone had made for her. This one had a Christmas decoration on it and so was probably a present from some little child. My girls made them for me. I snatched it right up. I even think I will make some more of them. What a great idea.

 

 The perfect place to store project needles. 


1 comment:

Bobbie Casey said...

I love this story! What a great find. It is nice to have you share your life of stitching.