My husband ordered a supply of Procion dyes for me for my birthday. I have finally decided to do all that. I did some of it in a class with Lisa Kerpoe, but I never bought all the stuff myself. I just continued to dye with textile paint, Rit and Koolaid. Oh, I do use Indigo thanks to my friend Bobbie and other natural dyes. (You have probably seen some of my natural dye experiments on this blog.) I liked not using chemicals. But the time has come to do more.
This said, I have to confess that none of the above has anything to do with Procion dye. But I am getting ready. For instance, I have mixed my chemical water! But I had some waiting time and so I decided to experiment on the two pieces above with a flour resist. The blue one is an indigo dyed scrap with some discharging (toilet bowl cleaner) and the other is a monoprinted piece of white twill. It is ready to be appliqued with circles cut from another monoprint. If you look closely, you can see the basting threads. I have plans for this piece.
I really intended to paint over the crackled flour resist with some of the new dyes. However, I am not a very patient person. I had already waited over night for the flour resist to dry and I didn't want to wait another six hours or so for the dye to take. I wanted to see what it looked like! So I painted it with textile paint and here is the result. Next time I will use the dyes.