Friday, June 3, 2011

Black and White

 

Yesterday I thought I would spin some fibers that coordinated with each other.Since I normally spin small amounts (I don't have a big stash of fiber), it makes sense to have some that can be used together. So, from the left:
Brown, grey, black and white wool--core spun
Black and off white wool singles, plied with silk fabric bows
Black novelty yarn (fiber unknown), coil spun
Silk shirt strips spun with bits of wool 

If you have been reading my blog, you know that I am a new spinner and have not had any instruction. It is just trial and error all the way. I read a lot and watch videos to help me figure out what to do. I have made the yarn with fabric bows before and thought I had that one down, but I didn't. After the yarn was soaked and dried, I saw that the fabric bows were not locked in and would just pull right out! Good thing I left the bow strips long and that the yardage was short. I went back and tied a knot in all the bows. Oh good. More reasons to practise. I want to say that I owe my ability to spin at all to
and all the related books and videos. After watching a couple of these videos, I stopped being nervous about trying stuff and just jumped in!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bobbie Casey said...

Can I come over and watch you? You are having much fun, I see.
You are so brave to do this.
Love the colors.
Ok so why do you not have many fibers?
hmmmmm