Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Challenge

It turns out that I like challenges. Recently I did a spinning challenge using black and white. Perhaps you remember that post. I spun some tissue paper and some recycled silk. The invitation to another spinning challenge came yesterday, and is to spin something other then fiber--Anti-yarn. Goody. What to do. I remembered I had bought at the thrift store, a couple of packages of this sisal type stuff thinking I  could mix it with something else and spin it. But it was a very unpleasant material, stiff and prickly, so I put it away and forgot about it. Now however, I should try it. What a mess. I would pick up small handfuls of it and "draft" it. Occasionally, I just had to cut into it to allow it to pull out. Every inch, the strands would lock onto the hooks and I would have to release it, but eventually I spun it all, both packages. I would like to say that I remained calm through the process, but that is not true. I few unpleasant words were spoken. I admit it. So then I had a ball of this stuff that just looked like hairy rope. Not too interesting really. I started looking around for something to ply with it--something that was not already fiber. I finally settled on a couple of Handi-Wipes, torn into strips. Here is the result:  




 Of course when plying it I had to essentially spin it again
and so it caught on the hooks every inch or so
AGAIN,
more unpleasant words fell from my lips
@#&^&#
and so forth.
 But, it is sort of interesting.
I decided to make a basket.
 And here it is!
 The bottom of it fits in the palm of my open hand
  hand.
Too much fun.
                                              

What Next?

1 comment:

Bobbie Casey said...

You are so right. This is is is so cool. The color is divine.
You and I have parted ways, I am afraid. There goes that spinning lady. . .but, I will be your number one fan.